The 2013 ACROD SOBOR was held last week in Johnstown, PA, hosted by Christ the Savior Cathedral. Several proposals were submitted to the SOBOR for consideration. Below is the list of approved Proposals with Action Items and Dates for their implementation. Please take a few moments to review the approved Proposals. If you have any questions, please talk to Fr. Joseph or Bill Korchak.
On a related note, congratulations to Bill Korchak on being elected to the ACROD Board of Trustees. I believe this is the first time our parish has had representation on the Board.
PROPOSALS APPROVED BY THE 2013 ACROD SOBOR
1. The Diocese will establish a Health Care Insurance committee to make recommendations to clergy and parishes of the health care insurance options open to clergy so that parishes can make better choices in this area.
2. The Diocese will establish a web-based Christian Education program to assist parishes with parish Orthodox Christian education. It will utilize and expand the existing website resources in accordance with the already existing Diocesan education goals previously established by Metropolitan Nicholas.
3. The Consumer Price Index will be used to adjust the parish diocesan assessment on an annual basis, in the same manner as clergy compensation.
4. The Diocese passed a Diocesan-wide Stewardship Program with the goal of moving parishes away from annual dues to the parish and toward a percentage based system. To this effect the following Action Items are required of each parish by the following dates:
a. Each parish will appoint a local stewardship coordinator to work with the diocesan Stewardship Commission and to lead the stewardship planning, education, and programs of the parish; and, further, that it forward the name of this coordinator to the Diocesan Stewardship Commission by the beginning of Great Lent 2014 (March 3).
b. the parish council of every parish in the diocese will review the stewardship practices of its parish according to the principles that the diocesan Stewardship Commission has laid out in its resources; and, further, that it report its findings to the Diocesan Stewardship Commission by the beginning of the Church Year 2014 (September 1)
c. the parish council of every parish in the diocese develop a plan for the growth of the stewardship of time, talent, and treasure in its parish using the guidance and materials of the diocesan stewardship commission; and, further, that it report its plan to the Diocesan Stewardship Commission by the beginning of the Church Year 2014 (September 1).
5. A Proposal to establish Camp Nazareth as a separate legal entity with a separate board of trustees, was withdrawn but the Bishop and ACROD Board of Trustees will further investigate and report on the idea without taking any action.